MissionStrategic and financial study
In 2006, the Belgian Federal Government created one of the first European public Super ESCOs, aimed at realizing and financing energy efficiency projects in 1.800 public federal buildings. Fedesco has been assigned by the Belgian Federal government the task to implement widely the EPC contract model in partnership with the Federal Building Agency and the Federal Public Services.
Role and Achievements
Energinvest has assisted Fedesco, since 2009, in the implementation of the project through a multiyear framework contract. From 2011 onwards, we have assisted Fedesco with the facilitation of its EPC projects. This included the definition of the scope of the project, the design of standard smartEPC tender documents, preparation of contractual agreements with occupants and building owner, tendering, analysis of offers, contract negotiation and M&V plan negotiation, contract implementation and follow-up.
- ESCO market development, through the co-creation and co-development of BELESCO, the Belgian ESCO association.
- Development and validation of standardized Investment Grade Audit tools (Smart Matrix).
- Development of a financial simulation tool in co-financing adapted to the assets of public buildings stock (Smart Cost Model).
- Development and validation of the “intracting” legal framework between Fedesco (third party investor), the Belgian Buildings Agency (buildings manager), the property owners and the occupiers (Federal Public Services).
- Development and validation of a public procurement central purchasing body.
- Development of a standardized EPC public procurement contract and methodology adapted to the context of multi-tenants and owner-tenant split incentives (Smart EPC).
- Facilitation of the first EPC projects implemented by Fedesco and the Belgian Buildings Agency at the Federal level:
- Fedimmo project : EPC contract for 13 federal public buildings occupied by the FPS Finance, FPS Justice, Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain, Beliris and the Belgian Buildings Agency (75.000 m², 1 million € yearly base line).
- Fedasil Project : EPC contract for 17 federal public buildings occupied by the Federal Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers –Fedasil (90.000 m2, 3 million € yearly base line).
- Facilitation of EPC Projects implemented by public authorities at regional and/or local level:
- EPC contract for 200 public buildings occupied by 10 public authorities.
- EPC contract for 150 public buildings occupied by the Province of Brabant Walloon.
Smart Energy Performance Contracting
Smart Innovative Financing Program